Minggu, 20 Desember 2009

Difference between Skimming and Scanning

Hello there. I've got a beautiful explanation about the difference between Skimming and Scanning. I got this explanation from my teacher named Fiprinita Rezki in Islamic University of Riau (UIR). That was little bit embarrassing for me, because I need much time to look for the understanding about Skimming and Scanning. I must borrow my friend's book for it. Suddenly she (my teacher) gave us an exlaination first and then we was asked for explaining the Difference between Skimming and Scanning.

From my teacher's explanation I took that

Skimming : Process of reading to get general information (main idea) quickly or to get the content of reading selection.

How To Skim:
  1. Read the title.
  2. Read the introduction or the first paragraph.
  3. Read the first sentence of every other paragraph.
  4. Notice any pictures, charts, or graphs. * Notice any italicized or boldface words or phrases.
  5. Read the summary or last paragraph

Slide 3
Scanning : Process of reading to get specific information quickly, and ignore the unrelated information.

How to Scan:
  1. State the specific information you are looking for.
  2. Try to anticipate how the answer will appear and what clues you might use to help you locate the answer. For example, if you were looking for a certain date, you would quickly read the paragraph looking only for numbers.
  3. Use headings and any other aids that will help you identify which sections might contain the information you are looking for.
  4. Selectively read and skip through sections of the passage.

In Skimming something or article, you must real all of the important information to get the general information about what this article about.

In Scanning an article, if you look for the name of the victims, you will ignore the unrelated about the other information like the date of the accident happened and the police work. You will focus on the names of the victim only.

Ockay. I'll be back again in different cases. Bye

1 komentar:

Detik News